The teaching on Envy and Jealousy from the For My Life® program helps us to better understand these two closely-related spiritual issues. Envy and Jealousy come to make us compare what we have to what others have, and suggest that God doesn’t provide what we need. This does not have to be the way. Through God’s Word, we can recognize, resist, and learn to overcome by being content!
How Envy and Jealousy Works
- Envy and Jealousy feed and lead into Bitterness over the things we envy or are jealous of.
- The main goal of Envy and Jealousy is to take our eyes off God and put them on others.
- Envy and Jealousy make others the source of our value and fulfillment instead of God.
- It makes us hate people because they have something we don’t.
- The problem is that we appreciate what we see that another person has or who they are, but we hate them because they have it and we do not.
- It makes us compare what we have to what others have.
- It does not let us accept ourselves or what God is doing in our lives.
- At the core, Envy and Jealousy suggest that God does not provide adequately for us.
- Envy and Jealousy lead us to tear down other people’s blessings.
- Envy and Jealousy are intertwined with Covetousness, which never allows us to be content (Hebrews 13:5).
- We should not seek gain at another person’s expense.
- Someone who is strategizing to gain the upper hand over someone else is doing so at their expense. This is rooted in Covetousness, Envy and Jealousy.
- Covetousness is also a sign that a person is not trusting God to meet their needs.
- Covetousness can include things besides money, such as a house or even a spouse.
- Envy, Jealousy and Covetousness always desire something.
If we remember that God provides perfectly for us and that we are unique and valuable in Him, we will be better able to not let Envy and Jealousy make us compare ourselves, our possessions or our blessings to others. Only then can we be truly content with such things as we have and be at peace because we know that He never leaves us nor forsakes us.
That is how we overcome Envy and Jealousy in our lives.