This teaching from the For My Life® program helps us better understand what Occultism really is. We often think that Occultism is simply witchcraft or similar practices. However, Occultism is far more than those things. It is anything that offers itself as something of God, or the truth of God instead of what is found in the Word. Occultism hides the truth of the scriptures from us. This can have terrible consequences in our walk and in our lives. That is why it is so important to expose and remove it from our lives.
Basic principles of Occultism:
- Occultism is based in philosophies and traditions of men that are not found in the Word or distort what God has said.
- It also includes rudiments of this world that are “not after Christ” (Colossians 2:4, 6-8).
- At the heart of Occultism is a desire to be like God or offer a counterfeit of God as evidenced by Satan’s desire to be like the most High God (Isaiah 14:13-14).
- Occultism is also behind the New Age and similar philosophies that seek to make man a god unto himself.
- We can see this in the enticement of Adam and Eve in Genesis to be like “gods“.
- This is also why Satan is called the god of this world (2 Corinthians 4:4).
- Satan’s agenda is to duplicate, replicate or counterfeit all three members of the Godhead.
- He counterfeits the Godhead through people. Satan’s kingdom gives thoughts to men as if it were their own minds (Ephesians 6:12).
- A modern example of this is a well-known psychologist who states he was taught psychotherapy by spirit guides through automatic handwriting.
- Automatic handwriting is a form of occultism where people are inspired by evil spirits to dictate what these spirits are “guiding” them to write.
- A more recent example is a popular book, in which the author claims that “a voice” gave her rapid dictation. The book contradicts Scripture and gives people an alternative to the Word.
We must remember that Satan and his kingdom are ever seeking to counterfeit the ways and truths of God with many different deceptions, alterations and substitutes. Therefore, we must get to know the Word of God as the only reliable way to discern and avoid these deceptions so we can remain true to God’s Word and His ways.