This teaching from the For My Life® program helps us better understand proper Godly Order in the home. We present scriptural examples of order in the Godhead. We are then given examples of the Father God’s order for our marriage relationships.
The following are basic principles of Godly Order:
- There is an order in Creation: the head of the woman is the man, the head of the man is Jesus Christ and the head of Jesus Christ is God the Father (1 Corinthians 11:3).
- We also see in the Word that we are created in Their image (Genesis 1:26); therefore, the Godhead also has an order.
- The order and relationship in the Godhead might be summed up as: God the Father thought it, God the Word/Jesus said it and the Holy Spirit does it.
- There is an order for marriages according to Scriptures. We listed 1 Corinthians 11:3 above but there are many other passages describing how spouses ought to get along according to God, such as Ephesians 5 and Colossians 3.
- There may be many learned patterns of thought in our relationships but they may not represent God’s Word or His order.
- Common sayings such as “if momma isn’t happy, no one is happy” may indicate a passive man and a woman who has had to take control of the house. This is a common example of ungodly order.
- Another example would be men being the head over women in a harsh and domineering manner and controlling the family.
- Although there is an order and difference between the roles for husband and wife, they are equals in marriage.
- The Word teaches that women are not lesser or inferior. They are equal partakers and partners in the marriage (Colossians 1:12, Galatians 3:28).
- Scripture shows that men and women in marriage are to become one and therefore, are to interact and cooperate in unity (Genesis 2:23, Matthew 19:5).
- A practical example of Godly order is a husband and wife discussing ideas and talking things through for the purpose of coming into agreement one with another and into alignment with the Word.
- Jesus submitting to the will of the Father is a great Scriptural example of order in the Godhead (John 5:19).
- By understanding Godly order and seeing its reality in the Godhead, we are given a template for our marriage relationships. With Father God’s help, Godly order can be a practical reality in our lives.
If we realize that God has an order for our lives and marriages, we can grow in freedom and excitement for our relationships!