This teaching from the For My Life® program is so important to understand. Your discernment will grow as you apprehend how your spirit receives and processes thoughts from the spiritual dimensions, both from God and the enemy. Through this understanding, we exercise His kingdom in casting down the enemy’s thoughts instead of going down under them.
Be encouraged as you watch the video and read the highlights below:[x_video_embed][/x_video_embed]
To understand pathways of thought, we must understand how God constructed us.
- Every human is a triune being; meaning we are a spirit, we have a soul and we live in a physical body (1 Thessalonians 5:23).
- Your physical body is temporary and only serves as an “outer shell.”
- Your spirit is the eternal part of who you are and is “the real you.”
- You, as a spirit, exist apart from your physical body. We know this from Jesus, Who left His physical body and went to the disobedient spirits from the days of Noah (1 Peter 3:18, 19).
- Our soul, then, is where we receive and process thoughts and ideas that come from the physical world and from the spirit world.
- Through our soul’s intellect, we constantly process thoughts and emotions, make choices, decide what is “good” and “right” and all these then integrate into our “”
- It is at the soul level that God and the enemy’s kingdom, speak to us simply through thought.
- This is why it is so important to discern which thoughts are from God, the enemy or ourselves.
- By discerning thoughts, we can properly choose to make our thoughts conform to God’s thoughts instead of the enemy’s suggested thoughts, which are temptation.
The first thing to realize is that not all our thoughts come from God or from us.
- Many of the thoughts we think are our own are actually from the enemy. They can sound as if they are our own thoughts because we are familiar with them.
- Many times, our ways of thinking may not be founded on God’s Truth (His Word) but instead are based on thoughts from another kingdom, or our own iniquity.
- Satan rules an invisible kingdom that tempt us into disobedience by giving us thoughts, impressions, feelings and speaking to us.
- They seek to rule us from within by forming their personality into our personality.
- “Having a temper” or “worrying about things” may seem “normal” after a while, when in fact it is abnormal according to the Word.
- When we accept such thoughts as normal, we no longer resist them and now accept them as “who we are.”
So remember, the good news is that we are not helpless when it comes to our thoughts and impressions. If we can discern thoughts, feelings or impressions in us are not necessarily from us, then we are responsible and capable to resist the enemy. We can take those thoughts captive and successfully choose to obey God’s thoughts. What a victory that would be! As a result, we can purpose to think, speak and act like our Father instead of being formed by the enemy.
Grow in your discernment, and seek to be a resource in helping others that maybe held captive themselves.
2 Timothy 2:24-26 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all [men], apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And [that] they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.